Study Abroad

I will be in Ireland from June 4th- July 1st. Follow where I am and what I'm doing!!

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Weekend In Dublin


We spent the weekend in Dublin visiting Pavee Point and attending and marching in the Gay Pride Parade.  We did a lot of shopping because they have a lot more to offer in dublin. Thursday we toured the guinness factory and I had my first (and possibly last) guinness ever. The factory was very cool though and also interactive. Friday morning we went to Pavee Point which is a shelter and informatin center for Irish travellers. They are an ethnic minority in Ireland that travels around instead of staying in permanent housing. They are very discriminated against.  It was cool to learn about another culture and the struggles they have faced throughout the years. Things are beginning to change for the better for this group and they are able to get into the government more and chage policies.  Saturday we watched and marched in the gay pride parade which was indescribable. It was such an empowering experience and it was great to see people able to express themselves and not be criticized.  The law in Dublin prohibited protesting which was really cool as well.  Sunday we packed up and went home in the morning.  I met some incredible new people and I'm so happy that I branched out and did that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment